Marsh - Financial and Professional Liability (FINPRO)
Atlanta , GA
Mr. Muse writes articles on architects, engineers, and design liability for IRMI.com. He is also coauthor of "Coverage for Professional Services in Traditional Policies" in IRMI's Design-Build Risk and Insurance, third ed.
Mr. Muse currently serves as the global practice leader in the Marsh Design Firm Practice which encompasses the professional liability exposures of architects and engineers, contractors, and single-project placements. He also has extensive experience in the field of risk management consulting for contractors, developers, and wrap-ups. In addition, he still serves as a senior adviser for a number of major construction companies, architect and engineering firms, and controlled insurance programs.
Mr. Muse has been active in all areas of construction, including significant experience with industrial, civil, and commercial contractors. In addition, he has recently worked with contractors and owners in providing expertise on risk identification and leading-edge solutions for some of the largest projects in the country, including seven new office headquarters with total construction cost over $1 billion; four new manufacturing facilities valued over $250 million each; a 250-mile parkway/toll road and $200mm cable span bridge; and three professional sports stadiums and arenas.
Prior to being hired as the first employee in the Marsh Associates Program in 1988, Mr. Muse had 2 years of work/study experience in all major operation departments. After that time, he worked as casualty broker in the National Accounts Department and then established the Atlanta Construction Group in 1995. Before Mr. Muse's current assignment, he was leading the negotiations of insurance programs for all large construction clients and projects throughout the Southeast. Before joining Marsh, he worked with a Lloyd's Broker in London for a year in the North American Casualty and Reinsurance departments.
Mr. Muse is a frequent author and speaker on construction insurance. Some of his engagements include the following.
- A View From the Top: Construction Risk Management in the 21st Century, Woods & Aitken Roundtable Lunch in Lincoln, Nebraska; January 2001.
- Managing Contractors Professional Liability Risk: Expert Roundtable at International Risk Management Institute Annual Conference in Atlanta, Georgia; November 2000.
- Risk Management Applications for Design Firms, Alabama Engineering Society Quarterly Meeting in Birmingham, Alabama; November 2000.
- Innovation in Specialized Project Coverages, Marsh Risk Brief and Street Talk; October 2000.
- Wrapping Up Professional and Environmental Exposures, Marsh Environmental Conference in San Diego; October 2000.
- Negotiating Project Specific Professional Liability, DPIC National Project Conference at Lake Lanier Island, Georgia; September 2000.
- Strategic Risk Solutions for Construction Clients, Presentations in Atlanta, Philadelphia, Birmingham, Alabama; July 2000.
- Project Risk: Increased Complexity/Increased Opportunity, Annual E&C Conference in Rockport, Maine; June 2000.
- Creating a Competitive Edge through Controlled Insurance Programs, CFMA Annual Conference in Nashville; May 2000.
- Construction Risk Management in the New Millennium, Smith, Currie, and Hancock Annual Construction Law Update Seminar in Atlanta; April 2000.
- Conducting Effective Project Risk: Assessment, Treatment, Mitigation, Marsh Mid-Atlantic Regional Construction Conference; May 2000.
- Construction Risk Management for the 21st Century, Law Update Seminar: "Practical Advice for Construction Owners and their Counsel" in Chicago; April 2000.
- Alternative to "Surety" Bonding: Contractor Default Insurance, Marsh Wrap-Up Practice Conference in Palm Springs; March, 2000.
- Understanding the Fundamentals of Construction Insurance, Alston & Bird "Building a Project Without Claims, Cost Overruns and Delays" Seminar in Atlanta and Charlotte, North Carolina; February 2000.
Mr. Muse holds a bachelor of business administration degree in Finance/Risk Management and Insurance from the University of Georgia. He is affiliated with the Associated Builders and Contractors, Construction Financial Management Association, Design Build Institute of America, and is a licensed Property and Casualty agent.