You are currently not signed in. Any products you have purchased will not be available until you Sign In.
For a personalized walk-through of IRMI Online, Request a Demo.

401(k) plan

The most common type of defined contribution retirement plan, in which employees choose to defer part of their compensation. Under the typical 401(k), employees contribute anywhere from 1 percent to 15 percent of their pre-tax annual salary each year to the plan. In addition to this amount, many employers will match the employee's contribution, such as 50 percent of up to 6 percent of the employee's contribution. For example, if an employee contributes 6 percent of his or her salary to the 401(k) plan, the employer will contribute an additional 3 percent so that the employee will have saved a total of 9 percent of his or her annual salary (i.e., 6 percent contribution, plus 3 percent employer match). There are annual maximum amounts that employees can contribute as well as distribution restrictions prior to age 59.5. See also Defined contribution plan.

Links for IRMI Online Subscribers Only: PLI XII.C


Social Media

User ID: Subscriber Status:Free