Terms and Conditions for Using the MLIS Certification
There are three simple steps to obtaining and maintaining the MLIS® certification:
- Complete the core curriculum, consisting of 5 online courses, within 60 months of starting the program.
- Complete only 3 hours of CE credit within 24 months of obtaining the certification and every 12 months thereafter (through an online course or approved seminar, webinar, or conference).
- Agree to the terms and conditions enumerated below.
If any of these terms and conditions raise questions in your mind, please first consult the MLIS FAQs section for answers. If your question is not answered there, please feel free to contact IRMI.
MLIS is a trademark of IRMI and our rights to this mark are protected under the law. When you register for the MLIS program in the MLIS Learning Center, you agree to all the terms and conditions enumerated below. If you complete the MLIS curriculum within the prescribed time frame, you receive a revocable, non-exclusive, non-transferable, royalty-free license to use the MLIS trademark. All of the following terms and conditions apply to your certification and use of the MLIS trademark:
- Immediately upon completion of the MLIS five-part curriculum, you are licensed to publish and announce that you are a holder of the Management Liability Insurance Specialist certification and to display the MLIS trademark in conjunction with your name for a period of twenty-four (24) months.
- You may renew your license to use the MLIS certification for additional 12-month periods by completing at least 3 hours of MLIS CE courses or approved seminars/conferences or other educational programs prior to the end of the initial 24-month or any subsequent 12-month license period. Your license expires on the day a license period ends without your having completed (and, if a seminar or conference, notified us of completion) the required renewal CE.
- Your display of the MLIS certification will place a comma before the certification followed by the certification in all capital letters without periods or other punctuation (for example: John Doe, MLIS).
- Whenever the MLIS mark is displayed in a typeface larger than 12 points, place the trademark symbol ® in superscript to the right of the mark.
- In the event you fail to comply with any provisions of these Terms and Conditions of Use, IRMI revokes your license as provided for herein, or you fail to renew your certification by completing the required CE courses, your license to use the MLIS mark will be immediately revoked and you shall immediately discontinue using the MLIS trademark, destroy any business cards or other printed materials showing the MLIS mark, and cease claiming to be a holder of the Management Liability Insurance Specialist certification.
- In the event your license to use the MLIS certification expires because you fail to renew it by completing the required CE courses, you must complete the curriculum to again earn the right to use the MLIS certification.
- You agree that IRMI may revoke your MLIS certification in the event you:
- Are convicted of a felony.
- Are convicted of any state or federal crime related to insurance.
- Have an insurance license revoked due to violation of a state insurance code or statute.
- Display a pattern of unethical, illegal, or immoral behavior that reflects negatively on the MLIS certification.
- In the event IRMI revokes your certification, IRMI will e-mail notification to the e-mail address and send a registered letter to the postal address on record in the MLIS Learning Center. Your license to use the certification expires three (3) business days after the registered letter is mailed whether or not you receive the letter or e-mail message.
- In the event IRMI revokes your certification, you may at any time appeal the revocation by contacting IRMI in writing and stating your reasons why you feel you should be allowed to use the MLIS certification. You agree that IRMI's decision regarding your appeal is binding and final.
- You agree that the official mode of communication regarding the status of your certification is e-mail and/or the IRMI.com website. You agree to keep your e-mail address current in the MLIS Learning Center and to periodically check the IRMI.com website for announcements concerning your certification.
- You specifically grant IRMI and WebCE permission to send you e-mails informing you of the status of your certification, new MLIS course offerings, approval of seminars and conferences for MLIS CE credit, and other important information regarding the MLIS program. Except as respects official notices concerning your certification and the MLIS program, this agreement does not override our privacy statement, which protects you from other uses of your contact information.
- You acknowledge International Risk Management Institute's sole ownership of the MLIS certification, and all associated goodwill, and that IRMI retains all right, title, and interest in and to the trademark. You will not use the MLIS certification in any manner that will diminish or otherwise damage our goodwill in the MLIS certification. You will not adopt, use, or register any corporate name, trade name, trademark, domain name, service mark or certification mark, or other designation or certification that violates IRMI's rights in the MLIS certification. IRMI shall have the sole right to, and in its sole discretion may control any action concerning the display of the MLIS trademark.
- You agree that, except when indicated otherwise in the course, the copyrights to all MLIS courses are the property of International Risk Management Institute, Inc., and that you will not contest the validity or ownership of the copyrights to any MLIS courses.
- You agree that IRMI may change these Terms and Conditions at any time by posting the changes on the IRMI.com website and e-mailing a notice that they have been changed to the e-mail address you have on record with us in the MLIS Learning Center.